Sunday, August 09, 2015

How honest should you be with boss about departure plans?



L.E., an editor working at a startup company in Chicago, decided to leave her full-time position and start working as a freelance writer. Her plan was to wait two months before giving several weeks' notice so she'd have time to update her resume, create a website and get things in order so she could hit the ground running once she left.

Then, just as L.E. was about to put her plan in motion, her boss, the chair of the company, assigned her the task of ghostwriting the monthly chair's column for the company magazine, which L.E. helps to edit.

"It's kind of an honor to be asked to write this," writes L.E., because the chair is the voice of the company. In the past, the person who's ghostwritten these columns has developed trust and a strong relationship with the chair.

The meetings about the chair's column were scheduled to start months before L.E. planned to give notice.

"I really like and respect my boss," writes L.E., who says the boss is quite maternal toward her employees, in spite of having a reputation of being tough. "I really don't want to leave her in a lurch."

Given the boss' request, does L.E. owe it to the boss to reveal her departure plans earlier than she'd intended?

Leave aside for a moment the appropriateness of having someone else write columns on which the boss then puts her byline. Such practices are common in organizations where communications departments write words for which others take credit. At the very least, we should expect that those adopting others' words should at least read them before publication. And given that editing is already part of her job, L.E. is hardly in a position to tell the boss to write her own column.

Even though L.E. has been offered the opportunity to ghostwrite her boss' column, L.E. has no obligation to tell her boss that she plans to leave earlier than she'd planned to reveal this news. If L.E. believes that giving notice several months in advance of when she planned to leave would jeopardize her position, she has every reason to stick to her original plan.

However, if L.E. truly doesn't want to put her current boss in the position of having to lose her ghostwriter shortly after they've begun working together, the right thing to do is for L.E. to tell her boss. This would also allow another employee to start working on the column right away.

Depending on how her boss responds, L.E. might risk having to launch her freelance career earlier than planned, but she will have done what she believed was right.

In the end, L.E. decided to tell her boss about her plans and how she originally intended to hold off giving notice but felt the chair's column was too important.

"She is very sad to see me go," writes L.E., "but was grateful that I put the good of her department first. The good that came out of this is that she's going to give me freelance work -- a huge deal for an organization that typically doesn't freelance anything." 


Follow him on Twitter: @jseglin 

Do you have ethical questions that you need answered? Send them to rightthing@comcast.net. 

(c) 2014 JEFFREY L. SEGLIN. Distributed by TRIBUNE CONTENT AGENCY, LLC.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a trusted employee, even if you are planning to leave the company but hadn't planned to tell the boss, your failure to level with the boss with this information will long exceed your future reputation. No matter how you do it, you must put honesty with your boss above any part of your new employment decision.

Charlie Seng

Anonymous said...

I was a chief company participant in a critical contract negotiation when an opportunity for a much better job came up. I told my supervisor and H/R and a decision was made to keep it all silent until my portion of the contract was agreed to by all. Only 4 people of the 1000 co-workers knew of this and we continued to negotiate my part non stop until 11 PM on my last working day. My resignation was still hidden until final ratification a couple of weeks after my departure. Should I have announced it, my portion would have been in limbo and agreement delayed for an undetermined amount of time.
My reward for this was to eventually return to this company as the new concern discontinued support of the section I was in.
So not burning bridges paid off here in a way I could never have planned. I had just concluded that I was an employee until the end to do my job as best I could.
Alan Owseichik
Greenfield, Ma.